Ash's Azer Adventure

Hello everyone! The following is my blog about my 27 month trip to Azerbaijan working with the Peace Corps. I am a part of the 4th group sent to Azerbaijan and am in the Community Economic Development (CED) Program working with local companies to help them operate better in the world. Hopefully I’ll have some fun stories and cool pictures from traveling around Asia Minor and Eastern Europe. This blog is in no way related to the Peace Corps or their opinions. I hope you all enjoy…

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Touchdown Azerbaijan!

Happy 4th of July and hello from the lovely land of Azerbaijan! I've been here for about 1.5 weeks and it seems like 1.5 years of good times. My group of 48 volunteers is down to 46 already, but is a really fun group of young kids (mostly 22-26). We had a blast in Philly going out and getting to know each other. We completed our first week of training in a suburb of Baku on the Caspian Sea and I moved to my new host family on Sunday. They are great, I have a father, mother, and brother (24), with another brother in the army (18). I'm in a small town (population of 7,000) with limited internet so I will try to post once a week hopefully. There are 6 of us here for 10 weeks learning the language. Azeri is starting to come to me, which is good, but I definitely have a long way to go to be able to talk consistently with the locals. The food is great and I've sadly given up two great loves of my life, not eating friuts/veggis and not drinking tea...I at/drink those heavily with each meal and am liking most of it pretty well sad to say. We all meet in Baku once a week for training and tomorrow will be our first time of that. I think they are planning a 4th of July party for us this weekend so that should be fun. I'm really excited about my decision to come over and think this will be an amazing experience for me in my life. I hope all is well with everyone!

all my best,

ashley

4 Comments:

At 11:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ash-

So glad to hear that you are safe, sound and endulging in at least one of the primary food groups. You certainly sustained yourself on pez, slim jims and cough syrup longer than any of us would've imagined.

Take care and keep updating us! Looking forward to hearing about an economic environment shaped by you. :)

creede

 
At 4:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey ash :) so glad to hear that you're there and everything is going well. now that i have your address i'll have to send you some cookies...any requests??

looking forward to your updates :) - jenny -

 
At 4:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Flinger - glad to hear all is going well. Don't sweat the language, you'll get it, being completely immersed like that will expedite the process. Looking forward to seeing some pics!

~ pav

 
At 9:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ash-

I am glad you are enjoying your new adventure and good to know your health is somewhat improving by the intake of "healthy" items. Now, make sure the tea is full of sugar and the veggies aren't coated in cheese and butter! HA!

I do believe the beer thing needs to be addressed ASAP! There are some good nutrients in beer also, so there ya go!

Thanks for the update!
-Darci McCloskey (aka Tye's be-atch)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home