Ash's Azer Adventure

Hello everyone! The following is my blog about my 27 month trip to Azerbaijan working with the Peace Corps. I am a part of the 4th group sent to Azerbaijan and am in the Community Economic Development (CED) Program working with local companies to help them operate better in the world. Hopefully I’ll have some fun stories and cool pictures from traveling around Asia Minor and Eastern Europe. This blog is in no way related to the Peace Corps or their opinions. I hope you all enjoy…

Monday, October 23, 2006

The Great Azeri Pumpkin Caper



Before we talk jack-o-lanterns, I have put up 2 new blogs this week, so read the next one down entitled 5 days in baku is a good thing from 10/23/06 to get my complete update.

Well Charlie Brown would be impressed I think. We had a great day of pumpkin carving on Monday. We had to do the carving a week early since Tom and I will be out of town for our party next weekend. In AZ they have orange pumpkins that are more like gourds, with tall and thick stems off the top of them so they don’t make for good jack-o-lanterns. They also have grayish white normal shaped pumpkins. I found some rare green normal looking pumpkin for me which was nice. They each cost $1 which everyone thought was a rip off. There were 7 of us (see pictures below) on my big deck carving away. I had some American candy for everyone and we had a great time. They all did really well carving them since they had never seen anything like that (I had shown them a few internet pictures, but that’s it). I hope you enjoy the pictures from the fun afternoon. One quick note, my Nene walked into my room this afternoon when Tom and I were playing Monopoly with my iPod stereo on and just started shaking her butt dancing! We both were barreled over laughing hysterically-she’s awesome! In the picture with all of us on the steps starting from bottom left is Arzu (Tom’s co-worker), me, Aysel (our secretary in red), Ferana (my tutor), Zia (Tom’s co-worker), Ulvi (Tom’s 14 year old brother), and Tom.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home