Ash's Azer Adventure

Hello everyone! The following is my blog about my 27 month trip to Azerbaijan working with the Peace Corps. I am a part of the 4th group sent to Azerbaijan and am in the Community Economic Development (CED) Program working with local companies to help them operate better in the world. Hopefully I’ll have some fun stories and cool pictures from traveling around Asia Minor and Eastern Europe. This blog is in no way related to the Peace Corps or their opinions. I hope you all enjoy…

Sunday, July 08, 2007

My New Pad

This blog has been a long time coming. I have been traveling and super busy, so the pictures of the new house have had to wait. I looked for almost six weeks and only came up with two options. One was not a good place and the land lord wanted to keep his clothes in one room and come back any and every time he wanted to change clothes. Needless to say, after my last land lord experience, I was not interested in that at all. A PC person came down to check out both options and thankfully approved the better one. It is about 30 minutes from work (a big difference from the 5 minutes my old house was), but has buses that go by all the time. It is right next to the big bus station when you get to town.

Before you see the pictures, I want to say that this house is way nicer than I was looking for, it was simply the only real option I could find. I have 2 bed rooms, living room, dining room, kitchen, big yard, garage and outside area. I have a realish shower, still have a squatter, a nice refrigerator and also a clothes washing machine. I was fine with hand washing my clothes, but having a machine is insanely nice. My mom did 5 loads while she was visiting, so she was happy I got it. The land lady moved to Russia to be with her husband for the summer and will come back to Lenkeran in September. She will then decide if she wants me to stay or if she wants her old house back. I really hope she lets me keep it. I don’t want to have to move/look for a house again. It is not fun in any way at all. Enjoy all of the pics of bathroom/water tower/outside cooking area, front door, me playing ladder golf in the drive way, yard/garden with plumbs, pears, and peaches, my room, spare room, and two of the kitchen.

Last night Tom and I went to Farana’s (my Azeri tutor) Aunt’s wedding in Lenkeran. We had a blast. You have to sit through 3 hours of blaring Azeri music, toasts and tons of food before you finally get to go out and dance with everyone, but it is worth the wait. Farana’s family is pretty laid back/fun loving, so women and men all danced together for quite a bit of it. The pictures are of me, Tom, Farana, her brother, my counter part Nenebaju, and a cousin, one of the 4 TV’s showing the wedding videos the 2 camera man were filming real time, our table of food, the wedding cake pushed in on a cart (it was basically 6 or 8 little cakes), and me, Tom and Farana with the bridge and groom-notice no smiles except for the dumb Americans!

Oh, I wanted to show you the list of the DVD purchasing day Tom and I had in Baku on the 4th of July: the new Die Hard, new Fantastic 4, Smoking Aces, Miami Vice, Tenacious D, Predator, Pirates of the Caribbean 3, Knocked Up, and TRANSFORMERS!!!! Transformers is freaking awesome-even though our bootleg dvd copy sucks. It was the greatest dvd purchasing day of all time I think!!!







































2 Comments:

At 9:32 AM, Blogger Dagen and Michelle Boyd said...

That food looks familiar. Was anyone giving a play-by-play with the wedding telecast? What?

 
At 10:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WHAT. you live in a palace. ASh, not fair, not fair at all. Oh well, I guess I shouldn't complain cause my american apartment kicks the ass out of your azeri one. still. you are NOT living the pc life. you have a REAL kitchen. So much for keeping yogurt on the balcony.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home