Ash's Azer Adventure

Hello everyone! The following is my blog about my 27 month trip to Azerbaijan working with the Peace Corps. I am a part of the 4th group sent to Azerbaijan and am in the Community Economic Development (CED) Program working with local companies to help them operate better in the world. Hopefully I’ll have some fun stories and cool pictures from traveling around Asia Minor and Eastern Europe. This blog is in no way related to the Peace Corps or their opinions. I hope you all enjoy…

Monday, July 16, 2007

Shake, Rattle and Roll

So last Monday I was at my office. All of a sudden around 11:30ish it sounded like a bunch of grenades were going off on the first floor of my building. We realized that it wasn’t bombs, just a FREAKING EARTHQUAKE! I tried to decide if I should haul ass down the stairs and out the building or just stay in the doorway. My coworker came in freaking out, so we just got in the doorway and tried to calm her down. After the bomb noises my 4 story old soviet cinder block office building felt like a wave pool for 20-30 seconds. It turns out northern Iran/southern AZ has a big fault line coming through them. It was officially a 5.1 on the Richter Scale.

In other crazy happenings, my plumb tree’s fruits ripened and I ate my first plumb. It turns out if they are sour, I really like them. I have eaten a big bowl of plumbs every day this week. My body doesn’t know what to do with all of these damn fruits I keep putting in it!

Last week was pretty low key. It was 95 degrees every day last week, so summer is officially here. We played wiffle ball at our conversation club-the kids loved it. We now have an easy cop out for days when we are too lazy to plan activities for them.

The AZ5 group got to AZ about three weeks ago and we had three guys come down to Lankaran to visit us this weekend. It is just a chance for them to get out of the villages they are living in for training and to get to see how PCVs live in the regions. We’ve taken them all over town and made some really good meals. Having guests come down is always a good excuse to make a big Mexican meal with chicken quesadillas and salsa!

This week should be fairly status quo. The AZ5 guys are leaving in the morning, we have a wedding Tuesday night and that is it for the week. I am going to give a presentation to a bunch of kids about leadership in a couple of weeks, so I have to start working on that. I am also going to help a local village write a grant request to put a new bridge into their town, so I’ll be working on that a bunch. I’m getting excited-I’ll get my dog (Lyka) in less than two weeks!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home