Ash's Azer Adventure

Hello everyone! The following is my blog about my 27 month trip to Azerbaijan working with the Peace Corps. I am a part of the 4th group sent to Azerbaijan and am in the Community Economic Development (CED) Program working with local companies to help them operate better in the world. Hopefully I’ll have some fun stories and cool pictures from traveling around Asia Minor and Eastern Europe. This blog is in no way related to the Peace Corps or their opinions. I hope you all enjoy…

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Mini-blog

I really don’t have much this week so I’ll keep it short and sweet for you guys.

I went to Beylagan to do some work on our boy’s camp for next spring and to help Carlo celebrate his birthday. It was a really fun and low key weekend. Carlo doesn’t’ get many visitors, so he was really excited to have some guests finally. We went to a really cool cemetery outside of town where an old profit is baried that Carlo is helping out a little bit. The owner gave us a free and delicious lamb kabob feast which was really cool

Aid funding for AZ has been basically cut in half recently for NGOs and such which is making it harder to do things here. I’m having some major problems finding a local organization that can help me manage all of these medical supplies if we get them, so that is taking up most of my time right now. I’m going to head up north to Sheki for the weekend to help Jenny record English lessons on cds so she can use a small grant to make copies and give out to teachers.

We had a Lankaran gang dinner at our newest member’s house last night. Kathy is an English teacher volunteer at the local university and she had us all over for some good grub, so that was nice.

Tomorrow is the anniversary of the death of their first president so a lot of people will be putting flowers on his statue in our big park and people will be pretty sad all day.

That’s really all I’ve got. It is cold here, but not super cold yet. I’m living in my sleeping bag most of the time when at home, so I’m basically cocooned 24/7 when at home.