Ash's Azer Adventure

Hello everyone! The following is my blog about my 27 month trip to Azerbaijan working with the Peace Corps. I am a part of the 4th group sent to Azerbaijan and am in the Community Economic Development (CED) Program working with local companies to help them operate better in the world. Hopefully I’ll have some fun stories and cool pictures from traveling around Asia Minor and Eastern Europe. This blog is in no way related to the Peace Corps or their opinions. I hope you all enjoy…

Monday, January 28, 2008

SU VAR!!!!!!!!!

For all of you bilingual English and Azeri people, that’s right-I’VE FINALLY GOT RUNNING WATER! The fixit guy came today, replaced two parts of pipes and then shaved a piece of wood to jam in the hole of my well motor pipe and the water is a flowing. It’s pretty dirty stuff, so I’ll be running it off and on most of the night to clean it out, then, fingers cross, tomorrow morning I’ll be taking my first shower at my house since December 30, 2007. I can’t freakin wait! I’m seriously giddy right now as I write this.

I honestly don’t know what else to write besides that to be honest with you. This past weekend I read two books, worked on trainings for new PC Volunteers I have to give in three weeks, started working on my resume for job hunting, studied a bunch of Russian and pretty much was stationary on my couch either sitting up or sleeping the entire time. It finally warmed up into the high 40’s with sun, so most of the snow/ice is gone. My landlord cleared out 3 small trees that fell due to snow and ice, so my back yard looks a little cleaner. For some reason I have it in my head that it is almost spring, even though there are still 3 days left in January. I’m sure it will freeze again tomorrow and life will go back to the normal coldness I’ve gotten used to.

Everyone is pretty much bored, grumpy and we are all passing around a cold it seems. This is the winter malaise of PC life in AZ. I’m actually doing ok with it, although I definitely struggle to get out of my sleeping back several mornings a week. I’m reading a book on President Bush and Iraq right now that is super interesting and really detailed, so that has been a challenge since I’m not big into politics or how our government works (as bad as that is of me). I also just read “Ender’s Game”-a sci-fi book from 1977 that is really good. It’s a quick and easy read, but really cool to think about. I highly recommend it.

Magda and I are officially getting our PC grant to hold a 4 day business training in Lankaran in March, so that’s exciting for us, our offices and about 30 local business people. We will be pretty busy planning that over the next 3 weeks or so.

Ok, that’s it. Sorry for the short blogs, just nothing going on of any consequence it seems. I’m going to go just stare at the water coming out of my faucet for a few hours and smile!

1 Comments:

At 2:37 AM, Blogger marsy said...

Don't you dare kid yourself Water is of huge consquence. Maybe even massive. If I could take showers at home I might not ever leave!!
-Magda

 

Post a Comment

<< Home