Ash's Azer Adventure

Hello everyone! The following is my blog about my 27 month trip to Azerbaijan working with the Peace Corps. I am a part of the 4th group sent to Azerbaijan and am in the Community Economic Development (CED) Program working with local companies to help them operate better in the world. Hopefully I’ll have some fun stories and cool pictures from traveling around Asia Minor and Eastern Europe. This blog is in no way related to the Peace Corps or their opinions. I hope you all enjoy…

Monday, February 25, 2008

Another Day in My Life

I really don’t have much to type about and today was a good mix of a normal day but with some rare events, so I thought I’d give you guys a complete rundown of a “busy winter” Monday for me at site:

8:00-8:40-alarm went off, I laid completely inside of my sleeping bag trying to stay warm and reviewing Russian vocab, the milk lady walked by but I was too cold to get out of my sleeping bag to get some dairy products

8:40-10:20-made typical breakfast of 2 scrambled eggs on fresh bread with spreadable cheese, brushed my teeth, got a nalgene full of purified water, and crammed for my Russian lesson

10:25-11:15-had my Russian lesson at a local school. Funny story of the day: my teacher told me I need to listen/hear Russian more (I was having problems understanding what she was asking me) so we went down the hall and I met a tiny old Russian teacher who teaches 3rd and 4th grade-I am now going to go sit in on her class in the mornings when I can so I can learn Russian with 8 year olds-her exact words were “he doesn’t know Russian very well, the kids don’t know it very well, this will be fun”-I’m sure I’ll have a hilarious report on how little kids are mocking me in class and beating me up for being a teacher’s pet next week

11:30-12:45-went to my office, talked with my co-workers, read a month old Newsweek, talked about my training next week and rubbed my eyes constantly from the smoke from our wood furnace

12:45-2-ate lunch with the Lank gang-1.5 potato quesadillas and 1 goat stomach quesadilla covered in a yogurt-ish sauce for 60 cents. During lunch we debated what all of the floating things in my freshly cleaned nalgene and distilled water were-I mean it was just full of what can only be described as tiny pieces of toilet paper and I literally just used bleach and boiled water to clean it and the water was pure-couldn’t taste it though

2:30-3:30-the father or our secretary died yesterday so we went to his “death tent”-a tent in the road in front of their house where men sit, drink tea, talk a little and listen to preachers talk all day long for 7 days after the death. I just stared at the quilts that make the walls in the structure the entire time basically while going in and out of listening.

3:30-4:30-helped Jane to find a house to move into next month when the new group of PCVs is free of host family living

4:30-6:30-read

6:30-8-worked out in my living room for exercise and to generate free warmth

8-8:45-cooked and ate pasta with ketchup for dinner

9-10-wrote emails and blog and did stupid computer stuff

10-11-read and studied Russian vocab between chapters

11-11:30-internet time posting blog, sending emails, looked for jobs and looked at ESPN

12-1-read until I fall asleep

There you have it ladies and gentlemen-that was a busy and productive day in the life of Me these days. It is supposed to start snowing soon, my well is still broken, Tom finally got water working over the weekend so I’m going to have to use his shower tomorrow since I haven’t showered in about 10 days, I am going to buy supplies tomorrow for the business training, Magda will come down this weekend, and that’s about it. Enjoy your last week of February-I know I’ll be happy to get my last cold Feb in AZ over with…

1 Comments:

At 2:26 PM, Blogger wonderingalison said...

Don't kid yourself, you were never a teacher's pet!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home