Ash's Azer Adventure

Hello everyone! The following is my blog about my 27 month trip to Azerbaijan working with the Peace Corps. I am a part of the 4th group sent to Azerbaijan and am in the Community Economic Development (CED) Program working with local companies to help them operate better in the world. Hopefully I’ll have some fun stories and cool pictures from traveling around Asia Minor and Eastern Europe. This blog is in no way related to the Peace Corps or their opinions. I hope you all enjoy…

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

I'm gross...

So I’m sitting in my room sweating my butt off the other night and I scratch my arm. I then notice that my skin pealed a little as if I had a sunburn. Well, since it was my shoulder and I can’t go topless unless I’m in my room I thought this was odd. I pealed/scratched some more and the entire top half of my arm started pealing. So I freaked out thinking I had turned into a leper! This continued for a couple of days and I finally asked a girl about it. It turns out if you sweat a ton and don’t shower daily (or every few days for that matter), you don’t get the old skin washed off-good stuff. Now that I have officially made sure anyone who reads this well never find me attractive, here’s what happened this week in my adventure:
Well I had my first language oral test on Saturday. I am officially an “Intermediate Mid”, which is as high of a score as anyone got as far as I know. It basically means I can speak in short/basic sentences and have basic conversations. To get to the next level, (which is the minimum I need to achieve before I am done with training in mid-September) I have to be able to speak in paragraphs/have full, thought out conversations instead of speaking like a little kid I had a group of about 14 American friends to my village Saturday afternoon for a movie day (The Anchorman on a lap top) at my school-pics included. We had a ton of watermelon, crappy Pringles knock offs, and some cocktails to celebrate being half way done with training and getting out first test over with. It was a really good time! The 4th volunteer from my group quit last week, so we are very slowly shrinking. The average group has about 30% leave at some point during the 2 years for whatever reason-so we have about 10 more that will leave (and yes, we have bets on people and days they’ll bail as sad as that is). This week I also “squatted” next to an old guy that managed to chain smoke 2 cigarettes while we did our business, had “milky rice” with tons of white and brown sugar for breakfast-actually really good, and watched a video of a “Kid Toy (celebration)” where a boy at age 9 gets circumcised and they have a big basically wedding reception for him-ouch. On a personal note, I will send anyone $100 U.S. to kick Rhett Bomar, former OU quarterback, in the crotch for me for ruining our season before it even began. I was really going to miss OU football while I’m here, but he has made sure I won’t miss much this year by taking $15k for a “summer job” at a car dealership in Norman. Which makes sense since our team could have won the national championship this year and he could have been set for life-way to think that one through buddy. We’ll still beat UT though…Boomer Sooner everyone!

1 Comments:

At 1:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds as if all is going good except for all of the yakking. We have a donkey if you really want one. Could we fly it to you? His name is Dinkey. Don't ask.

Aunt Connie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home